My current college seniors have been stressed out lately about their future. The crazy thing is 95% of them have job offers for post graduation – in theatre! Stress hits us all from time to time. The unknown is scary and can quickly become overwhelming. In times when life gets overwhelming, I think its important to keep a few VERY important facts in mind.
• There are 6,840,507,003 people in this world
• 80% of them make less than $10 per day
• 1.6 billion of them live without electricity
• 1 billion of the children in this world live in poverty
• There are 42,475 members of Actor’s Equity who wake up everyday and pursue performing for a career
• 42,475 people in this world get to wake up everyday and pursue a living doing something they absolutely love.
• You are on your way to becoming one of the 0.0000062% of the world population who are fortunate enough to worry about whether or not they will get paid to sing, dance, and act for other people.
Most of you will never have to worry about finding the basic needs of life (food, shelter, clothing) or love. No matter how rough things get, please remember that you are incredibly fortunate to have the life you have and everything will eventually work out.
Hi Matt, I came across your blog via your posting about having an operatic career, and I’ve really enjoyed reading and learning. I just moved to NYC, and I’m in the process of settling in and looking for a day-job to help fund my classical singing goals. Your last paragraph here echoes what I tell myself when obstacles and challenges pop up. Today was rough — Thank you for this reminder 🙂
You’re welcome! Keep your head up, hard work WILL pay off.